Going on vacation? Here are several tips on securing your home while you’re gone.
BEFORE your vacation:
- Have your paper put on hold so it’s not obvious that no one’s home.
- Mow and edge, as well as weed and spray your yard so it doesn’t look over grown or unsightly while you’re gone.
- Put lamps on timers in your house to come on/off in the evening. (Don’t forget to tell your neighbors that you have lamps to come on/off so they don’t think someone is in your home)
- Raise the thermostat a bit so that you’re not cooling a house for no reason.
- Put hoses on timers to water your potted plants.
- Keep your front and back porch lights on.
- Notify neighbors the dates that you will be gone so that they can keep an eye open for any suspicious activity (give them your cell number or the phone number of where you will be).
- Clean your house. It is SO nice to come home to a clean home! (Plus it keeps bugs and critters from moving in while you’re gone)
DURING your vacation:
- Have someone mow your yard once a week.
- Have a neighbor or someone you trust pick up your mail.
If you prepare far enough in advance for your departure, your house will stay in beautiful working order while you’re gone, prowlers will be deterred, and you can relax and enjoy your vacation knowing that everything at home is safe and secure!
If you found this blog helpful click SHARE.